Finland demands clear probe into Khashoggi´s death
20 Oct 2018, 19:13 ( 5 Months ago) | updated: 20 Oct 2018, 22:31 ( 5 Months ago)
The Foreign Ministry on Saturday expressed concern over the death of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Khashoggi has been missing since he entered the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on October 2 and unconfirmed reports said that Khashoggi was likely killed inside the Saudi Consulate.
“Appalling news about Jamal #Khashoggi. Transparent investigation is needed and those responsible must be brought to justice. Defending freedom of the press is a key priority for Finland,” the Finnish Foreign Ministry said in a twitter post.
Although Saudi Arabia previously repeatedly denied allegations that the kingdom had murdered or arrested Khashoggi, it said on Saturday that 18 people were arrested over the death of the missing Saudi Journalist Jamal Khashoggi, reported Xinhua quoting Saudi Press Agency (SPA) as saying.
The initial investigations by the Public Prosecution revealed that Khashoggi had a physical fight with those he met at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, which led to his death, SPA said.
The Public Prosecution confirmed that the investigation over the case will continue, saying all involved in the case will be held accountable.
The reported death of the 60-year-old journalist prompted many countries representatives to cancel their scheduled visit to Saudi Arabia.
Many government representatives, high-profile business executives and chiefs of world lenders, including the International Monetary Fund and World Bank had announced their decisions to boycott the "Davos of the desert" conference scheduled to be held in Saudi Arabia next week.
According to a BBC report, more than 30 delegates have dropped out since Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi disappeared.