Anthrax kills 4 in Tanzania
11 Jan 2019, 00:25
Four people died and more than 70 others were hospitalized following an anthrax outbreak in southwestern Tanzania's district of Momba, health official confirmed on Thursday.
Anno Maseta, Momba District Medical Officer, confirmed that there were 78 patients from Nzoka ward infected with anthrax and four of them died.
Anthrax is a rare but deadly bacterial disease and this particular outbreak is believed to have spread to humans from a dead cow.
"So far four people died with the bacterial disease; the remaining 74 are receiving treatment," he said.
Juma Irando, Momba District Commissioner, said the district leadership was working on measures to address the anthrax outbreak, a highly infectious, fatal bacterial disease of mammals, especially cattle and sheep. When transmitted to humans it causes skin ulcers or a form of pneumonia.
Some patients, who were admitted at Nzoka Village Dispensary in the district, confirmed that they had eaten the meat of a dead cow believed to have died of anthrax.
Silvester Simwinga, one of the patients, said: "I started feeling bad just a few hours after I ate the meat. Doctors have confirmed that I am suffering from anthrax."